Teams and Participants
- Each team is composed of no more than 10 members, to include 9 transcriber-reviewers and 1 editor. Editors can also serve as transcribers and reviewers. All team members should be listed on the team’s page. Participants may only belong to one team.
- The Editor will be designated as team captain, though you may also choose to have more than one captain.
- Participants must sign up at least one day prior to the start of the competition, and be approved as a member by the team captain(s). Contact information can be found on each team page.
- Teams may be built through solicitation or open call.
- Each team must have at least one (virtual) participant meeting to establish standards and working methods. Successive meetings will be held at the discretion of the team captain(s).
- Each witness must be transcribed by one team member, reviewed by a second, and approved by one the editor before it is considered complete. Each team’s dated transcription log (linked on the team page) should be included with the final submission of their 9 witnesses
Competition Timing and Criteria
- The competition will take place over the course of 2 weeks, from 12:00 PM UTC on Friday, July 21 until 12:00 UTC on Friday, August 4. Teams that complete their transcriptions before the stated deadline may submit their contributions when they are deemed complete.
- Transcriptions will be judged by three criteria, in order of importance:
- Accuracy (see transcription guidelines below – these also appear on the transcription window);
- Team participation (those submissions that include participation from a greater percentage of team members will earn a higher ranking).
- Only digital submissions are acceptable, and must include:
- A link to the transcription,
- A completed transcription log with names of transcribers, reviewers, and sign-off editors,
- A team page with at least 4 progress updates.
- A witness-specific transcription guideline.
- All submissions should be sent to email@example.com and cc’ed to firstname.lastname@example.org for delivery to the panel of judges.
The three judges will include a team of subject-area experts. The decision of the judges is final. The award for victory is international bragging rights for time immemorial.